Sunday 11 December 2011

Artist Influence - Max Ernst

I'm not dead!

Max Ernst (1891-1976) was a German painter who helped pioneer the surrealist and Dada movements. While he worked with a variety of subjects I am particularly interested in his landscapes-  bizarre, twisted locales that nevertheless hold some semblance of familiarity. While perhaps not uncanny in its strictest sense courtesy of being too far removed from reality, Ernst still succeeds in creating a sense of unease in that the viewer can tell that the images are representations of familiar settings and yet can also very clearly see something is wrong











I think it also helps that Max Ernst was one of the first artists I wanted to be when I grew up.

2 comments:

  1. So pleased you're not dead. I was beginning to worry gangrene had set in and you'd given up the ghost - Ernst! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey hey I'm liking these art works!!! like phill said I'm glad you are now putting things up on the blog. I will also be uploading a lot of work later so please comment !! :) be good to here from you.

    ReplyDelete